Scoring System

I'll grade on 5 areas (Cleanliness, Originality, Design, Privacy & Other) then give the restroom a final score. Each area can earn a 1 - 5 (with 1 being very poor and 5 being wonderful).



1. Cleanliness - can I use it without having to wear rubber gloves?

2. Originality - anything unique or is it just the basic toilet, sink, & mirror?

3. Design - Is it modern, retro, HGTV worthy?

4. Privacy - Does it compare to sitting in a hole in prison or being at home?

5. Other - Anything else I think worthy to score!

August 31, 2010

Rob Roy - Seattle, WA

Like your parents basement in the 70's, Rob Roy has strong drinks, cool decorations, odd art work, leather walls, mirrored ceilings, and great bathrooms! OK a great bathroom might not be what you remember of your parents basement but it is of mine!

Growing up in Idaho I shared a bathroom with my older sister, the downstairs bathroom! Which meant it was down the hall from the bar my parents had set up in our basement. A huge roll-around bar that was stocked full of cheap booze and a bar light painted with the words BAR - brilliant! Our house was always in the middle of remodeling which meant so was our bathroom. Before the remodel the bathroom walls were covered in gold fuzzy wallpaper that put sleazy hotel rooms everywhere to shame. When my mom had had enough of the sleaze she made us tear down the wallpaper. This left a wall covered in white dried adhesive. What to do now? Paint? No of course not. She let us, and our friends, graffiti the walls with different colored markers. Remember that pizza joint in your neighborhood that used to let all the customers sign the walls? (Don't worry every town had one!) Well that's what our walls looked like. Drawings, sayings, obscenities (we were clever with how we disguised it) and youthful dreams splashed on the walls like a senior yearbook!

How does this have anything to do with Rob Roy? After sitting with friends having drinks in the 70's basement inspired bar area, I made my way down the fuzzy wallpaper hallway to the restroom in Rob Roy. I expected what my bathroom was like in high school and I wasn't disappointed. Granted it wasn't as youthful looking or as cheep but the men's restroom in Rob Roy also "allows" it's visitors to mark up the wall with drawings, saying, obscenities (not as cleverly disguised) and drunk inspired dreams!

But that's not the only thing Rob Roy has going for itself in the restroom. They had the fantastic idea of putting orange, lime, and lemon slices in the urinal! Bright sunshiny slices making the urinal almost - dare I say - pretty. As I used the urinal I realized what I'd be doing all day Sunday; cutting slices of fruit to put in my toilet. Wait...that wouldn't work as well. Still, I love the idea. The juxtaposition between the colorful fruit and the dark graffiti walls puts this restroom in a class of it's own. It's not the fanciest restroom I've been in but it certainly impressed me!

Score Card
Cleanliness = 3
Originality = 4.5 (it's all in the fruit)
Design = 2.5 (most of the design comes from the drunks)
Privacy = 3
Fruit = 4.5 (can I score twice on the same thing? Hell yes it's my blog!)
Rob Roy Total = 17.5 (out of 25)
Final Thoughts: Rob Roy's got it going on - if it was my friends basement I'd be there every weekend just so I could sneak cheap vodka and piss in fruit!

No comments: